Shrimp and Corn Chowder with Grilled Cheese
- 1 large leek
- 1 lb potatoes
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 6 strips of bacon
- 3 ears of corn or 1 2/3 cups frozen corn
- 1/2 lb large shrimp
- 1 3/4 cup heavy cream or half and half
- 1 pinch chili flakes
- Bread of cheese sandwiches and favorite cheese
- Butter to spread on the bread
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Cut the ends of the leek and quarter it. Run it under cold water, making sure to get in the cracks so the dirt gets out.
- Peel and dice your potatoes.
- Pour chicken broth into a small-medium sized pan and bring to boil.
- While that’s getting going, in a large pot, on high heat, add some olive oil and the bacon. Once it’s crisp, use a pair of kitchen tongs to remove onto a paper towel covered plate so the bacon doesn’t get soggy.
- Leave the bacon fat in the pot and add your chopped ingredients to the pot on medium-high heat. Stir often until leeks are softened, about 4 mins.
- Add the corn and shrimp.
- Pour in the hot chicken broth and the heavy cream and stir. Add a good pinch of salt, pepper, and chili flakes.
- Bring to boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Blitz with an immersion blender until the consistency is half creamy, half chunky.
- Chop up your bacon slices into bacon bits and sprinkle on top of the soup.
- Butter each slice of bread with butter.
- In a large skillet on medium heat, add the slices of bread butter side down and toast for 1 minute.
- Add your desired cheese to the top of the bread and flip one of the slices onto another one, forming a sandwich. Continue frying until golden brown. Flip the entire sandwich over so the other side can be toasted.
- When both sides are golden brown, take off heat and slice down the middle.
Serve with bowls of the chowder. Enjoy!